Speech by Mr Zainudin Nordin at the MOU signing ceremony between FAS and Atletico Madrid
MOU SIGNING CEREMONY
BETWEEN FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION OF SINGAPORE AND ATLETICO MADRID
20 MAY 2013, 4PM AT CONRAD HOTEL
SPEECH BY MR ZAINUDIN NORDIN
PRESIDENT, FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION OF SINGAPORE
Mr Enrique Cerezo
President, Club Atlético de Madrid
Mr Miguel Ange Gil Marin
CEO, Club Atlético de Madrid
Mr Chris Chan
Director, Singapore Olympic Foundation
Mr Lim Kia Tong
Vice-President, Football Association of Singapore
Friends from the media
Ladies and gentlemen
1. A very good afternoon to all of you. I would like to thank all of you for being here with us for this momentous occasion.
2. I would like to welcome Club Atlético de Madrid (Atletico Madrid) and its senior management to Singapore and also congratulate them for winning the Copa Del Rey.
3. We will be signing an agreement with Atletico Madrid, which I believe, will greatly complement our current youth development programmes and other on-going footballing initiatives. The Atletico Madrid’s Youth Academy has, in recent years, produced the likes of David de Gea, Fernando Torres among other high-profile players. Our young players will definitely benefit from this partnership with the Spanish giants.
4. Under the terms of the MOU, which we are about to sign, The Football Association of Singapore and Club Atlético de Madrid agree to promote and develop football for mutual benefit and to use football as a vehicle to enhance the bilateral relations and cooperation between us both.
5. Atletico Madrid’s emphasis on youth development impressed us and we are now proud to partner them to develop talented youngsters, in terms of providing training and attachment opportunities. The MOU with Atletico Madrid dovetails perfectly with our objectives outlined in FAS’ Strategic Plan.
6. Our dear loyal fans can also look forward to matches between both FAS and Atletico Madrid, at all levels of the game, hopefully regularly, from the senior team to the youth teams. Atletico Madrid has also agreed to facilitate opportunities for young footballers from Singapore to play professionally in the Spanish League.
7. We hope these arrangements and matches with Atletico Madrid will continue to provide our young players with the necessary competitive and international match exposure required to facilitate their development.
8. Playing against Atletico Madrid is important for the overall development for our local players. As part of our football development plan, the FAS is constantly looking at opportunities for our players to travel overseas to train and play against quality opponents. There remains much hard work ahead, and we will continue to develop collaborative partnerships with our partners to bring Singapore football to a higher level.
9. The FAS is always seeking to develop the capabilities of our coaches and technical staff. We will also arrange attachment stints and exchange programmes for coaches, referees, technical and support staff. There will also be workshops and seminars relating to professional football management and we hope these will help to boost the professionalism and standards of Singapore football, on and off the pitch.
10. Singapore football, besides entertaining our fans has another important role to fulfil – nation building. Sports brings the community together but football is one sport that can mobilise the nation. We are glad Atletico Madrid has given us a platform to increase the standard of football in Singapore. I would also like to take this opportunity to the Singapore Olympic Foundation-Peter Lim Scholarship for making this possible.
11. I would like to take this opportunity to call upon other organisations to come forward to explore ways to raise the standard of football in Singapore and we thank our stakeholders for their continuous support.
On this note, I wish everyone a great evening ahead